ROLE: Social and Performance Lead
TITLE: Deputy Managing Partner
REPORTING: Chief Executive Officer
DEPARTMENT: Account Management/ Planning
OGILVY AFRICA – COMPANY OVERVIEW
Ogilvy Africa is the largest network agency on the continent catering to 40 countries with
a team of ~900 people across Central, East and West Africa. Headquartered in Nairobi –
Kenya, Ogilvy Africa manages a portfolio of over 100 brands for clients such as AB Inbev,
Airtel, Africa CDC, Coca-Cola, Diageo, Distell, Equity Bank, Exxon Mobil, Kenya Airways,
Mondelez, NCBA, Nestle, Philips, PWC, SAB Miller, Sanlam, Total, UNICEF, Unilever and
WWF amongst others.
We offer services across the full spectrum of marketing domains including advertising (on
and offline), Customer Engagement & Commerce, Digital Transformation, Shopper
Marketing, Media, PR & Influence; all under one unified setup. We have also created
proprietary marketing products in areas such as real-time marketing, social intelligence,
virtual experiences, influencer management, e-commerce enablement and content hubs.
Our unique operating model, One Ogilvy, allows clients and brands to cut the complexity of
agency structures and create seamless omni-channel experiences for their consumers,
across touchpoints. Fuelled by the holy trinity of content, data, and technology; Ogilvy
Africa strives to be the best-practice agency model, for Developing & Emerging markets.
In our 20+ years in Africa, we have won the highest number of regional and global awards
for the region including Cannes Lions, Clio awards, Dubai Lynx Festival, SABRE Awards
(Global and Africa); to name a few.
Ogilvy is a leading global creative network of WPP. Launched by David Ogilvy over 70 years
ago, it is referred-to as the Agency of Giants, by several industry experts.
JOB PURPOSE – SUMMARY
Social media especially in today’s mobile first world is an important component to increase
any brand/businesses physical availability. With social commerce on the rise today’s social
media is deep linked to conversion and commerce. New emerging social / creator platforms
e.g. Discord etc are redefining the role of creators in today’s economy.
To leverage this social playground, we are looking for an individual who can write our
playbook and lead the Social & Performance (S&P) capabilities for the region. The role
traverses the consumer journey through communication, content, conversations,
communities and commerce.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Drive campaigns from planning to execution and beyond to meet key performance metrics
• Constantly optimize marketing activities to improve return on investment
• Allocate budgets and analyze and recommend modifications to ad spends
• Collaborate with client marketing teams to guide A/B creative tests, incrementality tests, and
spend scaling tests on campaigns online and offline to identify what works best
• Test new channels and trends (such as voice search, Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality,
Digital Out of Home, etc.)
• Optimize marketing budgets to maximize Cost per Acquisition (CPA) and efficiently scale
• Input into platform experience insights for better user engagement.
• Proactively keeps abreast of assigned clients’ marketing and media plans, and provide
technological solutions including rich media, site optimization, promotional ideas, mobile,
social networks, viral, etc.
• Write communication briefs, ensuring that creative and media are effectively
• Develops a total understanding of online target audience and mindset modes.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
• 10+ years of working in a digital media environment, with 5+ years of leading a
performance marketing setup.
• Degree in Advertising, Marketing, Media, data analytics or equivalent.
• Working knowledge of adtech solutions such as DCO, DMP, CDP, DSP.
• Hands on experience on media planning and buying, including programmatic.
• Strong web and mobile analytics understanding.
• Thorough understanding of digital platforms and touch points.
• Business knowledge.
• Possess broad knowledge of best digital practices.
• Ability to evangelise, sell and execute innovative solutions.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Insightful and perceptive.
• Outcome-focussed and deadline driven.
• Ability to be the star quarter-back, and a coach for the team
OUR BELIEF SYSTEM
There are seven principles that guide the culture at Ogilvy Africa. We hold them dear, and
they define what every Ogilvyan believes, and how (s)he behaves
1. OS UPGRADE: Even the best OS today will be obsolete tomorrow, unless it constantly
upgrades. Same is true for people.
2. MORE COWS THAN MILKMEN: We are a culture of practitioners, not managers. We
contribute before we comment.
3. TEAM > INDIVIDUALS: You get a lot more done, when everyone stops worrying about
who gets credit in the end. Teams succeed, individuals fail.
4. DIVERSITY IS A COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE: We embrace diversity – in gender,
ethnicity, profiles, skill-sets and styles of leadership.
5. CREATIVE ABOUT CREATIVITY: Creativity is; and will always be our differentiator.
Creativity now includes the holy trinity of Data-Content-Tech.
6. COLLABORATIVE ADVANTAGE: We find partners who are top of their game at skill sets we don’t have, but need. It’s the only way to scale at speed, without pretending to have
all the answers.
7. FAIL OFTEN. FAIL FAST: We are a culture of Intrapreneurship. We try new things, as
Pilots. Either succeed-and-scale; or fail-fast, learn from it and start something new.
HOW TO APPLY
Ogilvy Africa is an equal opportunity employer that believes in diversity as a competitive
advantage. We are committed to a fair and inclusive hiring process. To minimise
unconscious-biases from our hiring process, we’ve taken on an initiative to #RightTheCV
(find out more by clicking here)
We encourage candidates to apply using this free, downloadable template, available
Kindly forward your application to Human.Resources@wpp-scangroup.com indicating the
job title as the subject. Please also share your motivation for the role along with your
Closing Date: 3rd December 2021